- Prime or Choice Steaks - Whatever cut you like
- vegetable or olive oil - drizzle
- coarse salt to taste
- black pepper
- no-salt seasoning (optional)
- Remove Steaks from refrigerator at least 15 minutes before cooking, and preheat oven to 450°
- Pat dry steaks (dry steaks develop a nice crusty sear), drizzle with oil and season with coarse salt only (other seasonings will scorch in the pan, and should be added when steak is resting)
- Heat a heavy ovenproof skillet (preferably cast iron) over high heat on stovetop just until it starts to smoke
- Place steaks into pan for 2 minutes on each side, then immediately place steaks in the 450° oven and continue cooking to the desired doneness (these times are for a 1” steak):
- 3 minutes for Rare / 4 minutes for Medium / 5 minutes for Medium-Well
- Use a hot pad to remove the pan from the oven and season with pepper or other no-salt seasoning.
- Place steaks on a platter, cover loosely with foil, and let rest 5 minutes before serving.